Destination: Tasmania Mine
General Location: West of Winfield
How To Get There: From Winfield, follow the right fork west out of town (CR 390 2A) up the north fork of Clear Creek, past the Winfield Cemetery (.4 mile from Winfield). You will need a high clearance vehicle to drive the next 1.4 miles. Take the right fork at 1.8 miles and park at the trailhead. Take the right hand trail which is the old wagon road to the mine. The hike to the mine is about 1.5 miles with an elevation gain of 1,200 feet.
Difficulty: Although the signs indicate "high clearance vehicles only", the road past the Winfield Cemetery is very easy four wheel drive to the trailhead. The hike itself is steep, but clear of obstructions. Due to elevations, going slow is advisable. The mine remains on private property.
Private Property & Responsible Recreation: Venturing off of public roads and lands onto private land is trespassing. The surrounding mountains have miles of underground tunnels and shafts. The area is dangerous and a once safe and stable area can suddenly collapse. The buildings also are in various state of decay and are also unsafe. Obey any posted signs, travel & recreate responsibly, and always tread lightly.
History of Tasmania Mine: The mine was actually incorporated in 1899 by a Philadelphia organization known as the Tasmania Mining and Milling Company and, along with other ventures like the Barracouta, Dickey Boy and Last Dollar, was capitalized with over $1,000,000.00. But although silver and copper ore results were promising initially, the roads, boarding house, office, assay office and the mine itself was abandoned several years later.
Area Photos: Click To Zoom.
[Main Tour Map]
Photos & Tour Content Copyright © 1997-1999 Universal Systems, Inc.
Colorado mining camps, ghost towns,
boomtowns, mines, mountain sight-seeing tours,